- In ReLEx SMILE, the Femtosecond laser is used to create a lenticule in the inner layers of the cornea.
- The Femtosecond laser is able to penetrate the surface of the cornea without any cutting involved or causing any damage to the surface layers.
- A small, micro incision (3-4mm) is created at the side of the cornea.
- The lenticule that was created earlier is gently removed through the small micro incision made.
- With the lenticule removed, the cornea shape is altered, which also changes the power of the eye.
Recommended for those who:
- Prefer the idea of having a bladeless, flapless, and minimally invasive method of surgery
- Want to have lesser eye discomfort after treatment (thanks to the small incision size)
- Want to preserve as much of their original corneal strength as possible
- Want to preserve as much corneal nerves as possible
- Require an alternative to ASA or Femto-LASIK
- Have thinner corneas
- Have dry eyes